Daily Bread #7
Many of us have come to know and accept the Bible as the mind of God to lost humanity. When we read it or listen to it being read, followers of Christ take to heart that heaven is speaking to us. What do we mean when we say that the Bible is the mind of God? What is being affirmed is that God is revealing his intention to humanity. Though God might have communicated to His people under the first Testament in different ways, Hebrews 1:1-2, says under the new covenant, the covenant of Christ, God is speaking to us by means of His Son, Jesus. Therefore, it is not a question concerning whether God has spoken, it is a question of whether we are listening God.
At the very core of person’s existence is his mind. In the Bible, the mind is that part of us that expresses consciousness and awareness. We use our minds to think, process information, to reason and to acquire knowledge. The mind is the faculty by which we plan, choose and determine a course of action. We consider ourselves as intelligent beings because we have a mind that causes us to relate to each other. God gave us a mind in order for him to relate to us also. It is here or at this level of one’s existence personhood is determined. The Bible speaks of the mind of God, the mind of Christ and the mind of the Spirit (Rom. 11:34; 1Cor. 2:16; Rom. 8:27). Just as God could not be thought of as having no mind, in the same way we could not imagine ourselves without a mind.
But the mind that God gives us is under attack by an evil force. For the majority of humanity, this battle is already is lost. The mind can be tricked, deceived, and let to believe or accept a lie. One of the biggest deceptions so many have come to believe and accept as true is that they are not being deceived by a darkness that is hostile to God. But if we believe the Bible as the wisdom of God to us, then God has something to say about what is truly at stake here. “If our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God ” (2Co 4:1 ESV).
The god of this world is Satan and he is the father of lies; the master deceiver. But why would the devil invade my mind and what does he wants with it. He who controls another person’s mind is king over that person’s life. Now, what God does for us free creatures is to provide us with needful and necessary information of the highest order. First, He tells us what is at stake. We are under attack; the devil is in hot pursuit for our minds and he has no plan to give up. The second thing God is doing for us is informing us how to overcome the devil’s game plan.
At the deepest level of our existence, God tells us to do something very important for ourselves: “… arm ye yourselves also with the same mind (1Pe 4:1 ASV). While the verse is pointing to suffering that will be experienced in the lives of believers, anything with which we are faced as a result of living in a fallen world, and opposes God, requires us to have a special kind of mind to overcome it. In our example the good God of heaven is shouting out to us that we need to arm ourselves with the mind of Christ (Phil. 2:5).
- We cannot deny how evil is on the increase.
- We know that to stop the wickedness in our society and the world around us is to help change the mindset of people.
- We must appeal to a standard greater than ourselves and whose mind we ought to adopt if we are going block the wicked thoughts that are trying to invade us on a daily basis.
- So many and especially our young people are crying out to us that they hear voices; evil thoughts are invading their minds the moment they rise from sleep, and the rest of the world continues to ignore their cries.
- The nature of that with comes at us is spiritual – we don’t see him/it.
- We must fight him on the spiritual level as well.
- We have enough help from above on how to prepare ourselves for battle.
- But while we spend almost all of our time preparing for the physical level, so many never take the time to prepare themselves at the deepest level where the battle is.
The Beltway Church of Christ is located in the Washington, DC metropolitan area in Prince George’s County, MD near Joint Base Andrews.